How the NHS Works

How the NHS works: a guide for migrants

You can contact the 24-hour service NHS free phone line by dialling 111 to get free health information and advice.
You can ask for an interpreter in your language by saying "interpreter please."

Pharmacy - Basic medicines
Pharmacists can offer clinical advice and medicines for a range of minor
illnesses, such as coughs, colds, sore throats, tummy trouble and aches and
pains. The pharmacist will let you know if you need to visit a doctor or
direct you to other healthcare professionals to make sure you get the help
you need. You can also buy medicines for minor illnesses or first-aid
supplies in a pharmacy or supermarket; to find the nearest pharmacy, go

Dentists and Opticians - Teeth and eye care

If your tooth is painful you should call 111 for Urgent Dental Care Services

GP practice or medical centre - Medical management, coordination of long term care and access to hospital specialists

A GP can offer medical advice, provide a diagnosis and prescribe medicines. They might be your first point of contact for many physical and mental health concerns. The GP practice is also responsible for coordinating and managing your long term healthcare and they can refer you if you need more specialised hospital services. It is best to register with a GP practice to meet your ongoing health needs.

Community health services - Pregnancy, child health, contraception services

Some health services are accessed in the community, and not in hospitals. These include mental health, child health and antenatal services and sexual health and family planning clinics.

Walk-in or Urgent Treatment centres - Minor injuries or urgent
medical advice

If you need urgent medical care for minor injuries such as cuts, sprains
and small fractures, or urgent medical advice, you can directly go to a
walk-in or urgent care centre without an appointment. These centres are
usually open during daytime hours.

Emergency services - Medical emergency or life-threatening situation

Call 999 if someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk. The
The telephone operator will advise you what to do or where to go next. An ambulance may be sent to provide treatment or transport the patient to hospital. Hospital Accident and Emergency (A&E) departments are open 24 hours every day of the year. You can access these services directly and without an appointment.

Emergency mental health - Suicidal thoughts or serious self harm

If you have seriously harmed yourself or are about to do so, call 999 for an ambulance or go straight to A&E. If you are thinking about suicide, talk to someone at the Samaritans by calling 116 123.

Your rights to healthcare: a guide for migrants

Everyone has a right to registerwith a GP (General Practitioner)

You do not need proof of address, immigration status, ID or an NHS number.
Find your nearest GP practice and register online.

If you are having difficulty registering with a GP you can:
• Download a GP Access Card and show this to the GP
• phone NHS England (0300 311 22 33 ) or Doctors of the World
(0808 1647 686) for help

These health services are free for everyone:

  • GP advice and treatment
  • Services that are provided as part of the NHS 111
    telephone advice line
  • Accident and Emergency services provided at an A&E
    department, walk-in centre, minor injuries unit or
    urgent care centre
  • Diagnosis and treatment of some infectious and sexually
    transmitted diseases
  • NHS services provided for COVID-19 investigation,
    diagnosis, treatment and vaccination
  • Family planning services (contraception)
  • Treatment for a physical or mental condition caused by
    torture, female genital mutilation, domestic violence
    or sexual violence

Specialist health services are also free for:

  • Refugees
  • Asylum seekers
  • Victims or suspected victims of Modern Slavery
  • dependants

People whose application for asylum has been rejected may still have
access to free NHS services. Check if you are entitled to free health care.

Prescription medicines, dental and eye care are normally not free in England but asylum seekers who are financially supported by the Home Office will be given an HC2 certificate to get full help with these health costs. Anyone can apply for this support, see further advice on how to apply.

Copies of this information can be found below in the following languages: